1 cup black rice
1 14oz can coconut milk
1 cup water
1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbs sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup blueberries
1) Rinse rice and soak in water overnight.
2) Drain rice and rinse again. Add to sauce pan with coconut milk, water and salt.
3) Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer for 50 minutes. Stir occasionally.
4) Reduce heat to low for an additional 10 minutes, or until the pudding has thickened.
5) Remove from heat and add sugar, vanilla and blueberries. Serve warm or chilled.
Review: I bought a bag of black rice at Trader Joe's, without any clue what to do with it! The website offered no suggestions, but the mobile app suggested rice pudding because black rice is a little sweet. I then stumbled upon a great vegan recipe, though it dramatically underestimated how long it takes to cook!! This was a labor of love, for sure. It can be made in a variety of ways. If dried fruit is desirable, add it in at the beginning so it cooks for the entire length of time. Fresh fruit, frozen fruit and nuts should be added at the end. This wasn't very sweet, and had a bit of a nutty flavor. We'll see if the rest of the family likes it tomorrow!