Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Stove-Top Vegetable Fricassee With Tarragon Cream

2 tsp olive oil
2 Tbs dried minced onion
2 each green and red bell peppers, seeded and chopped
2 bunches asparagus, ends trimmed, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 cup baby carrots, halved
2 Tbs chopped tarragon
1/2 cup vermouth or dry white wine
2 cups baby spinach leaves or dandelion greens
1 1/2 cups fat free milk
1/2 cup sour cream
2 Tbs grated Parmesan
salt and ground black pepper
2 cups cooked rice

1) Heat oil in large high-sided, oven proof skillet over medium heat. Add onions, bell peppers, asparagus and carrots. Cook 3 to 5 minutes, until crisp-tender. Stir in tarragon and vermouth/white wine, cook 2 to 3 minutes.
2) Add spinach/dandelion greens, milk and sour cream, simmering for 2 minutes. Add more milk, if needed, to make sure the vegetables are submerged. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
3) Sprinkle Parmesan cheese over the top. Place pan under broiler and broil until golden brown. Serve mixture over rice.

Review: I didn't stick this under the broiler. Truth be told, I'm a bit afraid of the broiler, as I've never used it before. I also never really serve things over something, I just dump it into one big pot. I've noticed that doesn't make for a pretty picture. Plus, I once again used bulgur instead of rice. We're still cutting back on carbs. This was yummy, though. I used white wine and spinach, of course. I don't normally have vermouth lying around and figured if I bought it for the recipe, it'd never get used again. I also used spinach because I just knew there was no way I was finding dandelion greens in Idaho. This recipe was another one from the Food Network's website. It's a treasure trove of goodies.


No comments:

Post a Comment