Thursday, May 19, 2011

Pasta Carbonara With Spicy "Sausage"

8 oz pappardelle or fettuccine
1 1/2 cups frozen peas
1 Tbs olive oil
4 Italian "sausage" links (about 1 lb)
2 large egg yolks
1/2 cup half-and-half
1/2 cup grated Parmesan, plus more for serving
Kosher salt and black pepper

1) Cook the pasta according to the package directions, adding the peas during the last minute of cooking.  Reserve 1/2 cup of the cooking water, drain the pasta and peas, and return them to the pot.
2) Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.  Cook the sausages, turning occasionally, until cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes.
3) In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, half-and-half, Parmesan, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper.  Add the egg mixture and reserved cooking water to the pasta and peas in the pot.  Cook over low heat, tossing gently, until the sauce is slightly thickened and coats the pasta.  Serve with the sausage and additional cheese.

Review:  I felt guilty for not trying new recipes the last couple of weeks.  Truth be told, I'm in the midst of packing (moving cross-country again) and wanted to stick with easy, familiar recipes.  But, the guilt got to me and I committed to a new recipe this week.  Then, I fell deathly ill (apparently I'm severely allergic to Spring in Idaho), requiring an arsenal of meds and lots of time on the couch.  This led to some basic recipes and pizza delivery.  Especially after discovering the purchased sweet potatoes had grown moldy (also contributing to my illness).  Today was my first full day back at work and I wish I could say I was feeling so great that I came home and made this recipe.  Nope.  Feeling better, but fortunate enough to have a husband who volunteered to "slave over a hot stove" to make dinner.  :)  And, he did a great job.  He actually seems to enjoy making carbonara and was the first to introduce the concept to our household.  Of course, we used Tofurky Italian Sausage and tweaked a recipe that was intended for real meat.  My carnivorous readers can enjoy this as a non-vegetarian meal.  I loved it with the Tofurky, which was a good spiciness to contrast the milder carbonara flavor and peas.  Perfect!


Adapted from:
http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/pasta-carbonara-with-spicy-sausage

No comments:

Post a Comment