Thursday, October 20, 2011

Gingersnap Latte Syrup

1/4 cup blackstrap molasses
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 dash ground cloves
1/4 tsp vanilla extract

1) Combine molasses, sugar, ginger, cinnamon and cloves, with 1 cup water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, and boil 15 minutes.
2) Remove from heat, and stir in vanilla extract. Strain through a fine-meshed strainer into a jar or bowl. Cool.
3) To make a gingersnap latte, spoon 1 to 2 Tbs of this syrup into a mug, add 6oz coffee or 2 shots of espresso, and top with 1/4 cup frothed milk.

Review: I absolutely love flavored lattes. However, I haven't yet frothed milk in my home (though I do own a hand blender!). I thought this would be a great addition to my morning coffee, even without the froth. I started making it and was surprised to find there was no ginger in my spice cabinet! I'm not sure how that happened, as it's a staple ingredient in my home. I panicked and considered my options. I found my ginger people coffee flavored ginger chews and tossed in 3 of the candies (I doubled the recipe). I figured it had all the right ingredients, as it had ginger & sugar, and the coffee flavor wouldn't bother anything since I'm pouring this syrup into my coffee! I think it was a genius move. The syrup smells wonderfully of gingersnaps and made for a delicious treat first thing in the morning!

Adapted from:
http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipe/gingersnap-latte-syrup/

No comments:

Post a Comment