Sunday, March 18, 2012

Pot Pie

I recently made a potpie and upon realizing the sauce was actually gravy, my creative juices began flowing. I pondered how easy it would be to whip up a potpie on the fly. I have a standard pie crust recipe that I love, and I could mix premade gravy with chopped veggies and tempeh:


I buttered a pie pan and put a bottom layer of pie crust in the pan. I added the chopped veggies and half of the tempeh (diced). I poured the gravy over the mixture and topped it all with the top layer of pie crust. I put it into a 350F oven and after half an hour, the crust was still soggy and fairly raw. I increased the temperature to 375F and after another 15 minutes, the gravy began bubbling out and the top crust began browning. The pie was no longer something I'd take a picture of, as it was just a bubbling over, edible mess. It was hot and filling, but seemed to be lacking some flavor. My husband and I pondered the solutions. I believe the next time I attempt this, I will add garlic and thyme. I will also bake at 375F and believe it will be done in about 30-35 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment