Sunday, January 5, 2014

Hibiscus-Blackberry Popsicles

1 hibiscus tea bag
1/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup blackberry juice

1) In a small saucepan, heat 1 cup water until just bubbling (not a full boil). Remove from heat and add hibiscus tea bag. Steep for five minutes.
2) Remove tea bag and mix in sugar. Stir until sugar is fully dissolved.
3) Pour in blackberry juice and stir to mix.
4) Pour into popsicle molds and freeze for at least 8 hours.

Review: In preparation of getting my tonsils out (1/8/2014), I planned to make popsicles and sorbets ahead of time. I found a wonderful recipe for a hibiscus-blackberry sorbet. However, the instructions stated the blackberries needed to be pureed in a food processor, but without chopping the seeds. HOW?! The seeds and pulp would later be strained off, but I couldn't figure out how to prevent cutting up the seeds. So, instead I decided to tweak the recipe idea and come up with a popsicle recipe. The hibiscus tea I used was from Republic of Tea, but it seems a lot of recipes call for Red Zinger. I don't like using Red Zinger because I read stuff about Celestial Seasoning's use of pesticides, but also it has a lot of added flavors. Republic of Tea's hibiscus tea has fewer ingredients. It also has Stevia in it, so I think I could get away with making this without sugar. For the blackberry juice, I used Trader Joe's Blackberry Crush. It has other juices, but still has a strong blackberry flavor (and is totally affordable). The end result was a flowery, berry flavor. It's amazing.


Adapted from:
http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipe/blackberry-hibiscus-sorbet/

No comments:

Post a Comment