Sunday, March 1, 2015

Quinoa, Roasted Yam & Pepitas with Cumin-Lime Dressing

1 cup dried green lentils, rinsed and picked over
2 cups quinoa
2 yams, peeled and diced into 1-inch pieces
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
2 Tbs olive oil
4 Tbs lime juice
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp salt
1 cup roasted pepitas

1) In a small saucepan, combine lentils with 3 cups of water. Bring to boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 35-40 minutes.
2) Preheat oven to 375F. Spray a cooking sheet with cooking spray, toss the yams onto the sheet and coat yams with cooking spray. Bake for 20 minutes, until yams are tender.
3) In a medium saucepan, combine quinoa with 4 cups of water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 15 minutes.
4) In a large serving bowl, combine lentils, yams, quinoa and bell pepper.
5) In a small bowl, whisk together the garlic, olive oil, lime juice, cumin and salt until emulsified. Add to the quinoa mixture and stir well.
6) Top each serving with pepitas.

Review: The original recipe included lime marmalade in the dressing. I searched all over for it and came up empty. I could spend $12.50 for a jar on amazon.com, or I could drive an hour to a British import store, but I didn't like those options. I'll keep my eye out for it and will make this again if I ever find a jar. But, it was really tasty even without it. I think it would add some sweetness, to maybe balance some of the savoriness of this dish. This was incredibly filling and quite yummy in an unexpected way. Of course, yams and cumin are always an amazing combination and everything else just enhanced it. I also had some amazing kitchen mojo, as I had the lentils, quinoa & yams finish cooking at the same time!!


Adapted from:
http://www.theglutenfreevegan.com/2014/03/quinoa-roasted-yam-pepitas-with-cumin-lime-dressing/

No comments:

Post a Comment