Sunday, August 2, 2015

Hot Fried Rice

2 cups cooked rice
2 Tbs coconut oil
1 bunch asparagus spears, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
1 cup peas
8oz pkg tempeh, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 tsp minced ginger
4 Tbs soy sauce
3 Tbs rice vinegar
3 Tbs hot sesame oil

1) In a large saute pan, over medium-high heat, saute the asparagus, peas and tempeh in coconut oil for 3-4 minutes.
2) Add the garlic and ginger, stirring until vegetables are tender, about 2 minutes.
3) Add the cooked rice, soy sauce and vinegar. Cook until the liquid is absorbed, about 1 minute.
4) Remove from the heat; stir in the hot sesame oil.

Review: I totally cheated by using the frozen cooked rice that Trader Joe's sells (sprouted red jasmine!). The original recipe called for a red bell pepper, but I cut into mine to find it was rotting and moldy inside - even though I just bought it last night!!! It was also supposed to use egg, but seeing as how I made enough to last three days, I didn't feel comfortable eating leftover eggs on day 3. Therefore, I subbed in tempeh. I also decided that the original recipe's suggestion for toasted sesame oil and some hot sauce was too much, when I could just use up some of the hot sesame oil in the fridge that I've had no use for. That was a mistake!! This was so hot that I lost feeling in my mouth. Leftovers at work should be fun . . . . but in all honesty, this was realllllly tasty and I'm a happy camper.
Adapted from:
http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/vegetable_fried_rice.html

No comments:

Post a Comment