Monday, September 4, 2017

Red Lentil Hash (Original Recipe)

1 cup basmati rice
2 Tbs avocado oil
3 carrots, peeled and chopped
4 potatoes, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
2 cups dried red lentils, rinsed and drained
4 cups vegetable broth
salt to taste

1) Cook rice according to package directions. Set aside.
2) In a large pan, heat oil over medium heat. Add carrots and potatoes, sautéing until carrots begin to soften (about five minutes).
3) Add garlic, cilantro and lentils. Toss for 30 seconds, until blended well.
4) Add vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce to a simmer for 12-15 minutes, or until broth is fully absorbed.
5) Serve lentil mixture over a bed of basmati rice. Salt to taste.

Review: I've been buying food on whims, and coupling this with the weekly CSA, I've got too much food on my hands. I've been trying to clear out the stockpile. This cleared out a bag of lentils, an older carton of vegetable broth, and the fresh carrots and potatoes from last week's CSA. I wasn't 100% sure what seasonings I should use, but many online recipes combined lentils with garlic and cilantro. I figured it was worth a shot, but it wasn't quite enough. I think some turmeric, cumin or coriander would have been great. I really loved the carrots combined with the red lentils, which just felt so hearty on a chilly evening!!

No comments:

Post a Comment