Sunday, December 17, 2017

Zhoug & Lentils

1 8oz pkg zhoug sauce
1 17.6oz pkg steamed lentils
2 cups quick-cook basmati rice

1) In a medium sauce pan, combine 4 cups of water, rice and lentils. Cover and bring to a boil. Once it's boiling, stir to loosen the lentils. Once the water is fully absorbed (12-15 minutes), remove from heat.
2) Mix in zhoug sauce thoroughly. Serve warm.

Review: I love Trader Joe's for so, so many reasons. However, it leads to many impulse purchases in which I have no plan. Zhoug sauce definitely was one of these purchase. I looooove cilantro and jalapeño, so to find a sauce made from both seemed like destiny. I had no idea what to do with it, though, and in the middle of the store was no time to figure it out. I tossed it in the cart and spent 20 minutes on google trying to figure out what to make for dinner. I found a recipe that was pasta based, but that felt weird. So, I swapped pasta for rice and made my own recipe. Luckily, I had an impulse buy from a previous trip to Trader Joe's in the fridge - steamed lentils. This was a fast meal, but ever so delicious. It's very flavorful and reminiscent of the green condiment I love at Indian restaurants. There's a bit of heat from the jalapeño, but not overwhelming. I know Trader Joe's will likely not carry this much longer (much like the kale cashew cheese pesto I saw only once, but was the most divine pesto ever), but it was well worth trying at least once. I'll definitely make this again if I find it in the store after the holidays.

1 comment:

  1. I bought the sauce without knowing what to do with it either. I was so happy to find this recipe. I’m making it right now!

    ReplyDelete