Sunday, April 22, 2018

Fettuccine with Asparagus, Leeks & Mint

1 9oz pkg gluten free egg fettuccine
1 lb asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1 large leek, white and light green parts chopped
1/2 cup mint, chopped
1/2 cup vegan Parmesan cheese
2 Tbs olive oil, divided
2 Tbs lemon juice
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper

1)  Whisk lemon juice, 1 Tbs olive oil, mint, salt, pepper and cayenne in a small bowl. Set aside.
2)  Cook pasta according to package directions, adding the asparagus for the last two minutes of cooking. Drain and keep warm.
3)  Heat 1 Tbs of olive oil in a large saute pan. Cook leeks, stirring occasionally, until tender - about 4 minutes. Add mint mixture, pasta and asparagus, tossing to combine.
4)  Serve topped with Parmesan.

Review: This recipe was such a mess to make, all due to my own errors. I couldn't find good asparagus at the grocery store and my husband convinced me to use a frozen SteamFresh bag of asparagus. That cooked for 4 minutes, the pasta cooked for 4 minutes and the leeks needed to cook for 4 minutes. I thought this was going to be EASY. Nope. The asparagus was SPEARS, and I didn't notice. They also steamed up to be a mushy mess. The pasta did not cook in 4 minutes. I used a wimpy burner on my stove and the water completely stopped boiling after I added the pasta. It took about ten minutes to cook, and it clumped terribly. So, by the time I tossed everything together, I already hated the dish. Except it was tasty. So freaking tasty. Despite the mint, it had an overwhelmingly savory, buttery taste (the egg noodles?). The cayenne really helped hone the savoriness and pulled it all together. I ate half of what I made for dinner and wanted to go back for more!
Adapted from:
https://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/fettuccine-with-asparagus-leeks-mint

No comments:

Post a Comment