Thursday, November 6, 2008

Tex-Mex Rice & Bean Bake

2 cups instant brown rice
1 egg
1 1/2 cups picante sauce
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 can (15 - 16 oz) pinto beans, rinsed
1/4 tsp chili powder

1) Cook instant rice as directed on the box.
2) Heat oven to 350F. Spray square baking dish, 8x8x2 inches, with nonstick cooking spray. Mix rice, egg, 1/2 cup of the picante sauce and 1/2 cup of the cheese; press in bottom of baking dish.
3) Mix beans and remaining 1 cup picante sauce; spoon over rice mixture. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese and the chili powder. Bake uncovered 30 to 35 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.

Review: This originally called for half the rice I used. But, I decided that was very little food and doubled the rice. This was super yummy and easy to make. I feared the rice would dry out and get crispy, but everything stayed moist and fluffy. I was happy and had lots of leftovers!

1 comment:

  1. I made this again on 8/31/2010 (hence the pictures) and doubled the recipe to fill a 9x13 pan. It was even better than I remembered! Yum.

    ReplyDelete