Sunday, February 15, 2009

Summer Squash & Corn Saute

1 1/2 Tbs olive oil
1 large green or red bell pepper, cut into short strips
2 medium yellow summer squash, halved lengthwise and sliced 1/4 inch thick
1 - 1 1/2 cups uncooked corn kernels
2 medium firm tomatoes, diced

1) Heat the oil in a wide skillet. Add the bell pepper and saute over medium heat for about 2 minutes. Add the squash and corn and continue to saute, stirring frequently, until all the vegetables are tender-crisp to your liking.
2) Add the tomatoes and continue to saute briefly, just until they have lost their raw quality. Season with salt and pepper, and serve.

Review: I'm so used to cooking bell peppers and onions together, that I tossed in a big dash of dried minced onions (raw onions make me sick, but dried onions are fine). I think it added to the dish and recommend doing some tinkering. Mike really liked the dish. I have a hard time liking anything that isn't served with something carby. I'll learn to not depend on pasta someday. This was also a super fast dish to cook, as it was done in about ten minutes. It may have helped that I used canned diced tomatoes (organic ones are so cheap at Costco!).

No comments:

Post a Comment