Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Artichoke & Olive Spaghetti

2 Tbs olive oil
2 Tbs dried minced onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 Tbs lemon juice
3 zucchini, quartered and sliced
2 15oz cans diced tomatoes, drained
salt and pepper
2 Tbs tomato paste
14oz can artichoke hearts, drained and quartered
1 can small black olives
12oz spaghetti
2 Tbs minced basil

1) Heat 1 Tbs of the oil in a large skillet and gently cook the onion, garlic, lemon juice, and zucchini for 4-5 minutes, or until lightly browned.
2) Pour in the tomatoes, season with salt and pepper, and add the tomato paste. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and let simmer for 10 minutes. Gently stir in the artichoke hearts, basil and olives, and cook for 5 minutes.
3) Meanwhile, bring a large, heavy-bottom pan of lightly salted water to a boil. Add the spaghetti, return to a boil, and cook for 8-10 minutes, or until just tender, but still firm to the bite. Drain well, toss in the remaining olive oil, and season with salt and pepper.
4) Transfer the spaghetti to a warmed serving bowl and top with the vegetable sauce.

Review: This recipe originally called for baby eggplants quartered, but eggplant is something neither Mike nor I enjoy. My friend Teresa suggested substituting zucchini in eggplant recipes. I now think she's a genius. This was such a great dish, I couldn't even imagine it made any other way. I really liked the addition of olives. Yummy.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad someone else in the family likes olives!!!
    I love olives, but can't get anyone around here to agree.
    I lived my first 5 years in the middle of an olive and orange grove :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I would have loved to have been in an olive grove! Mike doesn't like them, but he tolerates them when I add them to a dish. Lucky me.

    ReplyDelete