Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Hot Salad

1/2 medium-sized cauliflower
1 green bell pepper
1 red bell pepper
1/2 cucumber
4 carrots
2 Tbs butter
salt and pepper

Dressing:
3 Tbs olive oil
1 Tbs white wine vinegar
1 Tbs light soy sauce
1 tsp superfine sugar
salt and pepper

1) Cut the cauliflower into small florets, using a sharp knife. Seed the bell peppers and cut the flesh into thin slices. Cut the cucumber into thin slices. Thinly slice the carrots lengthways.
2) Melt the butter in a large heavy-based saucepan. Add the cauliflower florets, bell peppers, cucumber and carrots and fry over a medium heat, stirring constantly, for 5-7 minutes, until tender, but still firm to the bite. Season with salt and pepper. Lower the heat, cover with a lid, and simmer for 3 minutes.
3) Meanwhile, make the dressing. Whisk together all the ingredients until thoroughly combined.
4) Transfer the vegetables to a serving dish, pour over the dressing, toss to mix well and serve immediately.

Review: I hate cucumbers, so I just left them out. After I was done cooking, I realized I should have substituted zucchini for the cucumber. Oops. This was tasty, but not very filling. I'd suggest it as a side dish instead of a main event. I baked biscuits afterwards, since I was so hungry (and desperately craving carbs).

No comments:

Post a Comment