Saturday, June 20, 2009

Garden Lasagna

1 box lasagna noodles
10 oz bag of spinach
15 oz ricotta
16 oz can crushed tomatoes
16 oz can diced tomatoes
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 green bell pepper, diced
6 stalks celery, diced
1 tsp chopped fresh parsley
1 1/2 tsp dried basil
1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
16 oz shredded mozzarella and Parmesan mix

1) Preheat oven to 350F.
2) Cook the noodles in a large pot; drain, rinse and set aside.
3) In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients except shredded cheese. Layer noodles and filling in a lightly oiled large baking pan, starting with a layer of noodles and ending with a layer of the filling. Cover with shredded cheese and pour 1/4 cup of water over the lasagna. Bake for 45 minutes or until done all the way through.

Review: First of all, this recipe actually called for "real salt." Now, I'm not sure who's peddling fake salt these days, but don't bring it in my house! Mike made this recipe, as I was busy making a cat toy for Dmitri (pics under the lasagna), since he loves big toys - but they seem to only be available around Christmas. Mike did a really great job and the end product was awesome. It really had a "garden" flavor, which I attributed to the addition of celery. After the fact, I'm now wondering how this would have tasted if the celery had been browned in some butter and onion first. Hmmm, this may need to be made again!

3 comments:

  1. Now I can actually see the whale without Dmi's paws wrapped around it. So cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I had fun making it. I have plenty of fabric, stuffing, catnip, etc to make more. I kept the pattern I designed. I meant for it to be a fish, but after I made it, Mike said it looked like a whale. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dmitri needs a whale size toy! It's perfect.

    ReplyDelete