Thursday, June 24, 2010

Corn & Cheese Enchiladas

8 6-inch corn tortillas
1 Tbs vegetable oil
5 scallions, white and light green parts, chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 1/2 cups fresh corn kernels (from 2 medium ears)
1/2 cup whole milk
salt
2 cups grated pepper Jack
1 10oz can enchilada sauce

1) Preheat oven to 350°F. Stack tortillas, wrap in foil and bake until softened, 8 to 10 minutes.
2) While tortillas are baking, oil a 7-by-11-inch glass baking dish. Warm 1 Tbs oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add scallions and garlic, and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in corn and milk and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, 7 to 10 minutes. Season with salt.
3) Remove tortillas from foil. Set aside 1/2 cup cheese. Spoon a heaping tablespoon of corn mixture in center of a tortilla. Sprinkle with a heaping tablespoon of cheese. Roll up tortilla and set in dish, seam side down. Repeat with remaining tortillas, overlapping them slightly. Pour enchilada sauce over tortillas and sprinkle with reserved 1/2 cup cheese. Bake until bubbling, about 20 minutes.

Review: This was way easier than I expected. I’ve failed at enchiladas before, so I was not hopeful. This turned out really well. I only baked the tortillas for 8 minutes, so they weren’t as soft as they could have been. I do suggest shooting for the 10 minute mark, so they won’t break when rolling like mine did. And, I totally used about 4 cups of cheese. Yum.  However, my cheese was not straight-up pepper jack.  We couldn't find that at the grocery store.  So, the mix I used was a combination of pepper jack, colby cheese and cheddar.  Therefore it was milder than the original recipe, but very flavorful.  I don't think I'd like the enchiladas if only pepper jack was used. 

2 comments:

  1. The other idea that I find works is to dip the tortillas in the enchilada sauce before rolling them. It's a little messier, but I just do it in the baking dish and it does keep them from cracking as much. You could also mix the corn with a can of re-fried beans and that tastes really good too. I agree that the combination cheese sounds a lot better. Now I'm getting hungry for enchiladas!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike and I started drooling at the idea of refried beans added to the enchiladas! We're so doing that next time. Yum!!!

    ReplyDelete