Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Wheat Berries With Winter Squash & Chickpeas

3 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
2 large garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp ground allspice
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
1 cup wheat berries
4 cups water
salt to taste
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1 Tbs dried dill
2 lbs winter squash, peeled, seeded and cut in large dice
1 can chickpeas, drained

1) Heat the oil in a large, heavy soup pot, or Dutch oven, over medium heat. Add the onion. Cook, stirring, until tender, about five minutes. Stir in the garlic, ground allspice and crushed red pepper. Stir together for about one minute, then add the wheat berries and 4 cups of water. Bring to a boil, and add salt to taste. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer 30 minutes. Add the parsley and dill, and stir in the winter squash and chickpeas. Bring back to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for another 45-60 minutes, until the chickpeas and wheat berries are tender, and the squash is beginning to fall apart.
2) Uncover the pot, and turn the heat to high so that the liquid returns to a boil. Boil until the liquid is reduced to a syrupy consistency. Remove from the heat, taste and adjust salt. Serve hot or warm in wide soup bowls.

Review: This was the perfect dish to make while Mike had a late night and I completed chores. Since it took so long to cook, I didn't have to worry about hungry husband grumbling, and since it did much of it's cooking unattended, I got chores done! I initially worried it wouldn't turn out well, believing the chickpeas would turn to mush. Amazingly, they stayed fairly firm. I also appeared to use too much water, so my liquid never reached a syrupy consistency. I thought about draining off all the liquid and pouring it down the drain. However, the liquid appeared to have made a great broth. I put aside two portions and filled it with the broth, to make two frozen soup lunches. It's nice to have meals frozen and easy to grab, so that I don't have to rely on individual meals from Trader Joe's, or hitting the hospital cafeteria for a meal when I don't have leftovers for lunch! But, back to my review . . . This was a NY Times recipe given to me by my in-laws (there's much support there for my cooking endeavors!), which I tweaked a little. The original recipe called for some tomato paste. I somehow spaced that and didn't have any in the house. Looking back, I don't see how the flavor would fit into the recipe! This was a nice savory flavor, with a bit of sweetness from the butternut squash and a hint of heat from the crushed red pepper. There was no "wow" flavor, but a good savory hot dish on a cold winter's night. This will definitely be made again, and may make a great crockpot dish if I can figure out how to adjust the timing . . .


Adapted from:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/11/health/nutrition/11recipehealth.html?_r=0

No comments:

Post a Comment