Sunday, June 3, 2012

Garlic Scape & Swiss Chard Pesto

1/2 cup pine nuts
roughly a dozen garlic scapes
1 bunch Swiss chard
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup olive oil
2 cups Quattro Formaggio (Parmesan, Asiago, Fontina & Mozzarella)
salt to taste

1) In a small pan over medium heat, toast the pine nuts until evenly browned. Remove from heat and set aside, allowing the pine nuts to cool.
2) Clean garlic scapes and chop into smaller pieces. Place all the pieces into a food processor and chop until finely shredded (2-3 minutes.)
3) Clean Swiss chard and remove leaves from stem. Throw the stem away and add all of the Swiss chard into the food processor. Chop for another minute.
4) Add the lemon juice, olive oil, pine nuts and salt to the food processor and run for another minute.
5) Add the cheese to the food processor and chop until everything in finely shredded and mixed well.

Review: Last year I discovered garlic scapes at the farmer's market. Many of the booths also sold garlic scape pesto. Of course, I couldn't just buy their versions!! I bought a bag of garlic scapes yesterday and did an internet search for recipes. I found very few recipes, but I found one that really intrigued me, and then I made it my own by changing it up a bit. I really like this version of pesto, as it's not the typical basil flavor, but is still quite yummy. This doesn't have the typical garlic bite, so while it has garlic flavor, it's a little easier on the palate. It also has more nutrients, with the addition of Swiss chard. I can't wait to take it to a potluck!!


No comments:

Post a Comment