Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Chickpea Succotash with Lemongrass

4 stalks fresh lemongrass
1 large tomato
2 tsp olive oil
4 yellow squash, sliced into half-moons
1/2 tsp grated fresh ginger
1 clove garlic, minced
1 15oz can chickpeas, drained
1 cup frozen corn
1/4 cup chopped cilantro

1) Trim and discard tough base and skinny top leaves of lemongrass stalks, then peel away tough outer layers. Crush inner white stems with mallet or rolling pin, then finely chop. Transfer to a small bowl and cover with 1/4 cup boiling water. Set aside.
2) Halve tomato through middle and scoop seeds into strainer set over bowl. Press juice from seeds, then discard seeds. Set juice aside and dice tomato flesh.
3) Heat oil in large, deep skillet or Dutch oven over medium-low heat. Add squash, ginger and garlic, and saute 3 minutes without browning. Stir in chickpeas, corn and diced tomatoes, lemongrass with liquid and tomato juice. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover, increase heat to medium, and simmer 5 minutes, or until tomatoes just begin to soften. Stir in cilantro.

Review: I wasn't excited about this dish, as I'm not a big fan of yellow squash. However, I had stocked up on chickpeas awhile ago and wasn't using them like I had expected. I need to get rid of the stock so I have more space. I'm glad I went for this recipe, because it was amazing. The yellow squash wasn't it's typical bland self. The lemongrass really spiced it up and gave everything an exotic, 'green' flavor. It's hard to describe, but it was amazing. The chickpeas gave the dish a more filling base, so I didn't seek out seconds.


Adapted from:
http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipe/chickpea-succotash-with-lemongrass/

No comments:

Post a Comment