Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Potato, Egg & Avocado Hash

1/2 lb baby Yukon gold potatoes, halved and sliced
3 Tbs avocado oil
2 eggs
1 avocado, chopped
2 Tbs lime juice
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
salt and pepper to taste
pickled jalapeños, to taste

1) Heat the oil in the skillet over medium heat. Add the potatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are golden.
2) Make 2 wells in the mixture with the back of a mixing spoon. Carefully slide 1 egg into each. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover the pan and cook until the whites are just set, 6 minutes.
3) Top with the avocados, lime juice, cilantro and jalapeños.

Review: When I began making this, I lamented that I was making huevos rancheros with a hashbrown, but doing it the hard way. But this was so, so much better. The butteriness of the potatoes and avocado, mixed with the poached egg was so savory. But, then adding the tang of lime juice and the flavor of the jalapeños made this dish absolutely divine. I was SO full by the time I was done eating (all of it!!), but I still wanted more. Notably, I pickled these jalapeños myself through the lacto-fermentation process, so they're full of probiotics. This was also a pretty fast dish to make and will make it into my regular rotation of meals.
Adapted from:
http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/potato-egg-avocado-hash

No comments:

Post a Comment