Thursday, October 18, 2018

Falafel Scones with Harissa Yogurt Sauce

1 cup falafel mix (from Trader Joe's)
1 cup gluten free flour
1 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
3 Tbs sugar
1 Tbs and 1 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup vegan butter, softened
2 eggs
1 cup coconut milk (from a can, not from the milk aisle)
4oz cashewgurt
1/2 cup coconut milk (from the same can)
2 Tbs harissa sauce

1)  Preheat oven to 400F. Spray a scone pan with non-stick spray and set aside.
2)  In a large bowl, combine the falafel mix, flour, xanthan gum, sugar and baking powder. Using an electric mixer on the lowest setting, add the butter and blend until crumbly with pea-sized chunks of butter.
3)  In a small bowl, lightly beat the eggs and 1 cup of coconut milk. Make a well in the dry mixture and add egg mixture. Again using the lowest setting on an electric mixer, combine until well-blended.
4)  Bake 17 to 20 minutes, until golden. Remove from oven and place on a wire cooling rack for five minutes.
5)  Combine cashewgurt, 1/2 cup coconut milk and harissa sauce. Use sauce for drizzling or dipping when served.

Review:  I bought falafel mix awhile back, but then never made it as the instructions indicated it was a multi-hour process (soak for an hour, bake for an hour, etc.). Then, Trader Joe's published this recipe and it seemed like a great idea. I just lacked an occasion until today. I have a coworker leaving tomorrow and we tend to use our early morning meeting for celebrations. Time for savory scones (my favorite), I figured. So, I made these tonight and decided to have a few for dinner. I worried that my coworkers wouldn't like them, so I didn't want to take all of them. Unfortunately, I loved these so much that I ate nearly half of them, along with all of the sauce. Oops. These have a great falafel flavor, but not in an overwhelming way. They're also oddly fluffy for a scone made with falafel! The sauce added a bit of creaminess and additional flavor, but was largely bland. I'm not sure how I'd fix that, other than adding salt. I will definitely be making these again, especially since I still have so much falafel mix left (maybe 4-5 batches of scones?).
Adapted from:
https://www.traderjoes.com/recipes/appetizers-sides/falafel-scones-with-harissa-yogurt

No comments:

Post a Comment