Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Black Bean Tostadas

6 6-inch corn tortillas
3 Tbs canola oil
salt and pepper
1/2 large onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
2 15-oz cans black beans, drained and rinsed
assorted optional toppings, such as shredded lettuce, shredded mexican-blend cheese, chopped cilantro, salsa, sour cream and sliced pickled jalapenos

1) Preheat oven to 425F.  Brush both sides of tortillas with 2 Tbs oil and sprinkle with 2 tsp salt.  Lay tortillas on a cookie sheet and bake until crispy, about 10 minutes, turning over halfway through.
2) While tortillas are baking, warm remaining 1 Tbs oil in a large skillet over medium heat.  Add onion and saute 1 minute longer.  Reduce heat to low and add beans and 2 Tbs water.  Mash mixture with a potato masher or back of fork and cook until heated through.  Season with salt and pepper.
3) Divide bean mixture among tortillas.  Layer with desired toppings and serve.

Review:  Hmm, this is much easier if you buy cans of refried black beans and tostadas (can be bought already crispy).  I didn't realize this prior to making this (I read ingredient lists and never the directions when it comes time for grocery shopping), so I had to make the tostadas.  I also had to mash the beans (unexpectedly), since Idaho seems to have never heard of refried black beans.  I used to buy them all the time at the A&P in Connecticut.  I miss my old food choices!!!!  This was super yummy and I would love to make it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment