Monday, September 27, 2010

Farfalle With Tomato-Goat Cheese Cream Sauce

12oz farfalle pasta
1 cup frozen petite peas
2 Tbs pine nuts
1/2 Tbs olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/4 cups prepared creamy tomato soup
1/4 cup half-and-half
1 Tbs dry white wine
3oz creamy mild goat cheese

1) Cook pasta in large pot of boiling salted water according to package directions until al dente, adding peas during last 3 minutes of cooking.  Drain in colander, and set aside.  Quickly return empty pot to same burner (with heat off).  Wait a few seconds until pot looks dry, then add pine nuts.  Cook over medium heat 1 minute, or until fragrant and lightly toasted.  Transfer nuts to plate.
2) Add oil to pot, and saute garlic over medium heat 15 seconds, or until just beginning to brown.  Stir in soup, half-and-half and wine; bring to a brisk simmer over medium-high heat.  Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 3 minutes, or until mixture is slightly reduced and begins to thicken, stirring occasionally.  Add cheese, and cook 2 to 3 minutes more, or until cheese is completely melted into sauce, stirring occasionally.  Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
3) Stir pasta, peas and pine nuts into sauce in pot; toss well and serve.

Review:  So, Mike was out of town this weekend, leaving me to devise the grocery list on my own and grocery shop on my own (it's normally a 2 person task).  He also called me in the middle of devising the list.  Therefore, I am missing ingredients from several recipes this week and refuse to go back to the store for just a few items.  Notably, this recipe is missing peas.  It was still yummy, but I think the peas would have given it an extra oomph, and maybe allowed for leftovers to exist for lunch tomorrow.  No such luck.  This recipe had a great, creamy tang to it, but not in an overpowering way.  I used Wolfgang Puck's creamy tomato soup and it was a really great choice. 

I was lucky enough to have Mike make this recipe for me.  Sweet!  Unfortunately, he'll be out of town again this weekend and I fear I will again forget items when I go grocery shopping!!


Made again on 2/9/2011, with peas!  It was yummier, as the peas made a world of difference in balancing the flavors!


No comments:

Post a Comment