Saturday, August 24, 2013

Garden 2013

I've been harvesting zucchini for the past month. But, now almost everything is harvestable. Keep in mind, these are all heirloom varieties, grown organically. Here are the updates from this morning:

right side of the garden
left side of the garden
(planted both in the same areas)
Green Curled Scotch Kale
Genovese Basil and Rosie Purple Basil
(check out the size of the leaves! and the plant is tall enough to reach my waist!)
 I planted more Fall crops in my deck planters. My broccoli & spinach didn't do well in the garden, but grow great in these pots. Here are seedlings of: Long Island Improved Brussels Sprouts, Flamingo Pink Swiss Chard, Fordhook Giant Chard, Giant Musselburgh Leeks, Large Viroflay Spinach, Romanesco Italia Broccoli and a stray marigold!)

Check out how tall the Fordhook Giant Chard grew in the planter by my front door! And, I've already harvested from it once. It has super skinny stems for a chard.

Overall, the garden is the most successful to date. The only big issues is that my Sugar Ann Snap Peas died fairly early on. The Large Viroflay Spinach and Romanesco Italia Broccoli didn't want to grow in the garden at all. And, my zucchini got a case of powdery mildew, though it didn't prevent it from producing monster-sized zucchini overnight (seriously, they grow so fast!!).

1 comment:

  1. Your garden looks beautiful!
    I made 4 loaves of zucchini bread this morning with one of the giant zucchini that Mike brought over.

    ReplyDelete