Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Mustardy Kale Salad With Roasted Sweet Potato & Apple

2 sweet potatoes (about 2 lbs), cut into 3/4-inch pieces
6 Tbs olive oil
Kosher salt and black pepper
3 Tbs lemon juice
2 Tbs Dijon mustard
2 bunches of kale, thick stems removed & torn into bite-sized pieces
1 Pink Lady or Honeycrisp apple, diced
1/4 cup chopped roasted almonds
4 oz shaved Pecorino

1) Heat oven to 400F. Toss the sweet potatoes with 2 Tbs of the oil and 1/4 tsp each of salt and pepper, on a rimmed baking sheet. Roast, rotating the sheets and tossing the potatoes halfway through, until lightly browned and tender, 18 to 20 minutes. Let cool lightly.
2) Meanwhile, whisk together the lemon juice, mustard, the remaining 4 Tbs of oil and 1/4 tsp each of salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add the kale and rub together with clean hands to tenderize and coat the leaves.
3) Add the apple, almonds and sweet potatoes, and toss to combine. Serve topped with Pecorino.

Review: Oh, the bounties of my harvest. You can probably see the holes in my kale. Unbeknownst to me, I had an infestation of cabbage worms. Cleaning the kale was really difficult because there were so many and some of the kale I simply had to throw away. Mike was kind enough to spray the garden with more pesticides (organic). But, my kale is growing quite well and I had plenty to harvest. This recipe made great use of it. I was expecting more of a mustard flavor, but it was just a salad dressing flavor. The combination was incredibly yummy and I will definitely be making it again!


Adapted from:
http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/kale-salad-sweet-potato-apple

No comments:

Post a Comment