Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Soba Noodles with Almond Butter, Lime & Chiles

1/4 cup almond butter
1/4 cup lime juice
1 garlic clove, minced
2 Tbs soy sauce
1 Tbs light brown sugar
1 Tbs sesame oil
2 tsp sriracha sauce
8oz soba noodles
1 red jalapeno or Fresno chile, stemmed and seeded, finely chopped
1/4 cup cilantro leaves, chopped
2 Tbs toasted sesame seeds

1) Cook soba noodles per the package directions. Rinse with cool water and set aside.
2) To prepare dressing, combine almond butter, lime juice, garlic, soy sauce, light brown sugar, sesame oil and sriracha sauce in a small bowl. Whisk until smooth.
3) Pour half the dressing over noodles and toss well. Add more dressing if desired. Sprinkle remaining ingredients over noodles. Toss once or twice. Serve at room temperature or chilled.

Review: I thought this would be a great recipe, with easily obtainable ingredients. I have always seen soba noodles in grocery stores and soba is supposed to be made with only buckwheat (which is not wheat, making it naturally gluten free). However, corners seem to have been cut and I repeatedly found brands that used wheat and buckwheat flour. I found buckwheat only noodles online, for more than $8!! At Mike's urging, I went to the local co-op and luckily found what I needed. I also joined, which makes me an official member/owner. So, I happily made this tonight. The sauce is AMAZING and I couldn't believe how tasty it was. Oddly, the cilantro detracted from the dish. I hate saying that, because cilantro is one of my all time favorite flavors. Yet, I won't use it the next time I make this dish. Mike wants me to find other ways to use this sauce, because it was soooooo good!!!


Adapted from:
http://relish.com/recipes/soba-noodles-almond-butter/

No comments:

Post a Comment