Thursday, May 21, 2015

Cashew Chocolate Chip Scones

2 cups cashew meal
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 Tbs honey

1) Preheat the oven to 350F. In a large mixing bowl, blend the dry ingredients together.
2) In a small mixing bowl, combine the wet ingredients. The wet ingredients do not need to be fully mixed, just give them a few spins to give the mixing a head start.
3) Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients with a large spoon. Ensure the dough is uniform.
4) Place dough into a scone pan, making sure to not overfill the slots. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until lightly browned on the edges. Cool at least 5 minutes and then serve. These will keep in an airtight container, refrigerated, for up to 5 days.

Review: I bought a bag of cashew meal awhile back, thinking it would bring me great use. It did not. I struggled to find a use for it. Then, I stumbled on this recipe and thought cashew would be tastier than almond. I was correct. These definitely have a gritty, ground nut texture (which got stuck in my retainer!), but are still fluffy in their own way. I really liked these and will make them again. Do not these are quite filling and not as easy to binge on as regular scones. I ate two and felt full.
Adapted from:
http://www.elizabethrider.com/gluten-free-scone-recipe/

No comments:

Post a Comment