Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Cuban Spicy Bean Salad With Oranges & Cilantro

2 medium oranges, peeled and sliced
3 medium carrots, shredded
2/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 cup balsamic or red wine vinegar
2 Tbs sugar
2 tsp chopped fresh or canned jalapeno chilies
2 cans (15 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
4 cups bite-size pieces curly endive or lettuce

1) Mix all ingredients except endive in glass or plastic bowl. Cover and let stand 30 minutes.
2) Divide endive among 4 salad plates. Top with bean mixture.

Review: This was such a pain to make! I've never sliced orange slices before. Wow, what a mess. I also choked after inhaling jalapeno fumes. I have no idea how that happens, but I could barely breathe. Luckily, this was actually a really yummy salad. We used a mix of salad greens and arugula, since endive is hard to come by here. Arugula, because I needed 1 cup for a recipe later this week, but can only buy it in 4 cup packages.


2 comments:

  1. I guess now you need a jalapeno mask to compliment your
    onion goggles :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have face masks, but they're not pink. And I've found they're most useful when changing cat litter. :)

    ReplyDelete