Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Southwestern Salad With Avocado-Lime Dressing

2 cups chopped romaine lettuce
1 15oz can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup grape tomatoes, chopped
1/2 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
1/4 cup chopped green onions
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1 ripe avocado
3/4 cup prepared (not chunky) salsa
1/2 cup sour cream
3 Tbs lime juice
4 drops Tabasco sauce, optional
1/3 cup crushed corn tortilla chips (about 20 chips)

1) Combine lettuce, beans, tomatoes and corn in a bowl. Sprinkle green onions and cilantro on top.
2) Mash avocado in separate bowl, and whisk in salsa, sour cream and lime juice. Season with hot sauce (if using), and salt and pepper, if desired. Pour dressing over salad, toss well, and top with crushed corn chips.

Review: I let Mike mix things up and it ended up not being a layered salad. We used spinach instead of romaine lettuce, two cans of beans and I quartered the tomatoes. I ended up forgetting to put in the cilantro and left out the scallions. I used a small can of salsa from the ethnic aisle and it had a great, chipotle flavor. I loved this salad, but Mike thought I made it too hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment