Friday, May 14, 2010

Spinach Almond Pesto With Linguini

1 (10oz) package frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed almost dry
1/2 cup pine nuts
1 cup slivered almonds, divided
6 cloves garlic, roasted and peeled
1 cup grated parmesan cheese, plus more for garnish
1/2 cup vegetable broth
1/2 cup olive oil

1) Cook pasta according to package directions.  Drain and set aside.
2) Meanwhile, place almonds and pine nuts in a single layer in a dry skillet over medium heat. Toast, stirring occasionally until fragrant, 3 to 5 minutes.
3) Combine all ingredients except 1/2 cup of the slivered almonds in a food processor, blending just until smooth.
4) Mix sauce with pasta.  Serve with remainder of slivered almonds for extra crunch and flavor.

Review:  I didn't use frozen spinach, substituting several handfuls of fresh baby spinach, instead.  I used a full cup of vegetable broth, mostly because my broth comes in one cup containers.  I then tossed all of the almonds into the food processor, as I just finished a crown and the dentist told me no hard foods for a few days.  I also substituted four cloves of garlic, as I misread the instructions.  I thought it said 6 cloves and thought that was far too much garlic.  After I threw the cloves into the food processor, I read that the garlic was supposed to be roasted.  Bummer, especially since I had roasted garlic in the freezer!!  Oh, well.  It turned out wonderfully, anyway.  And, this was a great green sauce, not really a pesto.

No comments:

Post a Comment