Sunday, November 14, 2010

Pumpkin Ice Cream

2 large eggs
3/4 cup sugar
2 cups heavy or whipping cream
1 cup milk
1 cup unsweetened canned pumpkin
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp ground cinnamon

1) Whisk the eggs in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy, 1 to 2 minutes.  Whisk in the sugar, a little at a time, then continue whisking until completely blended, about 1 minute more.  Pour in the cream and milk, and whisk to blend.
2) Pour about 1 cup of the cream base into another bowl.  Add the pumpkin, nutmeg and cinnamon, stirring until blended.  Return the pumpkin mixture to the remaining cream base and blend.
3) Transfer the mixture to an ice cream maker and freeze, following the manufacturer's instructions.

Review:  I have an allergy to nutmeg, so I omitted it.  Instead, I tossed in a dash of other pumpkin pie spice ingredients - allspice, clove and ginger.  I apparently made more ice cream than my machine could handle, as it began oozing out the top.  Oops.  However, it just meant more for my belly!!!  This ice cream was really amazing and tasted like a frosty pumpkin pie (minus the crust).  I think I'll end up making a batch every time I make my famous holiday pie, as each recipe uses half a can of pumpkin. 

2 comments:

  1. That sounds soooo yummy. ok - so we'll borrow Meg's ice cream maker!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deal! I'm sure everyone will love it!

    ReplyDelete