Monday, November 1, 2010

Zucchini “Fettuccine” With Fresh Marinara

1 1/2 lb plum tomatoes, quartered
1 cup packed fresh basil leaves, chopped, plus sprigs for garnish
1/3 cup dry-packed sun-dried tomatoes, softened in warm water and chopped
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 shallot, minced
Sea salt or kosher salt to taste
freshly ground black pepper
8oz mixed summer squash (green and yellow), ends trimmed
1 orange bell pepper, halved and seeded
8oz soy or fresh mozzarella, diced
1 cup chopped walnuts
grated regular or soy Parmesan cheese for garnish, optional
6 basil sprigs for garnish, optional

1) Put tomatoes, basil, sun-dried tomatoes, 3 Tbs. oil, shallot, dash of salt and several grinds of pepper into food processor, and process until sauce resembles finely textured salsa.  
2) Pare squash lengthwise on 4 sides into paper-thin slices, about 1-inch wide, using sharp vegetable peeler. Discard soft centers, or save for another use. Stack slices, and cut into 1/4-inch-wide “fettuccine” strips. Cut bell pepper into paper-thin strips. 
3) Put “fettuccine” into bowl with mozzarella, walnuts, remaining 1 Tbs. oil and salt to taste; toss gently. Pour sauce into 6 shallow bowls, and top with “fettuccine” mixture. Grind fresh pepper over each and, if using, top with Parmesan cheese and basil sprigs. Serve.

Review:  I used oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, as I had some leftover in the fridge.  It turned out just fine.  When I picked this recipe, I didn't fully read the directions (imagine that).  I had made "fettuccine" from zucchini before and it was easy and yummy.  However, what made this truly different is that there was NO cooking involved.  I reread this three times before I fully accepted that I didn't need the pots and pans.  It was sooooo easy and quick to make.  I really loved the flavor and it seemed so fancy.  I'll definitely make this again!

No comments:

Post a Comment