Saturday, January 15, 2011

Mock Chicken Divan Pot Pie

4 cups broccoli florets, chopped
1 1/4 cups prepared creamy portobello mushroom soup
3/4 cup mayonnaise
1 tsp dry sherry
1/4 tsp poultry seasoning (or 1/8 tsp each ground thyme and ground sage)
1 lb seitan, cut into bite-sized pieces
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese or shredded vegan cheese of choice, optional
2/3 sheet (1/3 of 17.3oz pkg) frozen puff pastry, thawed

1) Preheat oven to 425F, and place oven rack in bottom third of oven. Coat 13- x 9-inch baking dish or oval casserole or gratin dish with cooking spray.
2) Place broccoli florets in microwave-safe casserole with lid, and add 3 Tbs. water. Cover, and microwave on high power 2 minutes. Stir, cover, and microwave 2 minutes more, or until broccoli is tender. Drain, and set aside.
3) Meanwhile, whisk together soup, mayonnaise, sherry, and poultry seasoning in large bowl. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Add seitan and broccoli florets; stir to combine. Transfer broccoli-seitan mixture to prepared baking dish, and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, if using.
4) Cut pastry into 6 equal squares. Place squares evenly over seitan mixture. (Filling does not need to be completely covered by squares.)
5) Bake 20 minutes, or until pastry is puffed and golden and filling is hot and bubbly.


Review: I tweaked this recipe somewhat!  I used frozen chopped broccoli and just tossed it into the bowl (without all of the microwaving).  I also doubled the soup and mayo, as I didn't have enough of a soup base.  I didn't double the sherry.  I used my big lasagna pan for this and one sheet of puff pastry wasn't enough, but it was all I had defrosted!  I tossed the second sheet into the microwave to defrost (using the defrost function), but it came out gummy.  You can see the section I had to add, as it looks mangled on top!!  I also used MorningStar Farms Chik'n Strips, as our grocery store doesn't sell seitan.  For the meat lovers in my life, I'm sure you could use real chicken.  After all the changes, it baked for 25 minutes and was wonderful.  It almost had a ranch taste to it, which could have been due to the seasoning on the Chik'n Strips.  It was reallllllllly delicious and I'll definitely make it again!



No comments:

Post a Comment