Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Orzo Lentil Pilaf With Feta

1 Tbs olive oil
1 medium red onion, finely chopped
1 1/2 cups cooked brown lentils, or 1 15oz can lentils, rinsed and drained
6oz dry orzo pasta
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese

1) Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, and sauté 5 minutes, or until softened. 
2) Stir in lentils, orzo, and 1 1/2 cups water. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Cover, and cook 10 to 12 minutes, or until orzo is tender, and all water is absorbed. 
3) Divide among serving bowls, and sprinkle each serving with 2 Tbs feta.

Review:  I decided to substitute whole-wheat Israeli couscous.  I love Israeli couscous and thought whole wheat might be a healthier option.  However, coming out of the box, it greatly resembled kitty kibble.  I thought the taste wasn't much better, but Mike loved the taste.  This didn't have the great toasted flavor that regular Israeli couscous has and the texture was awful.  Stick with the regular stuff, or use orzo!  So, I ended up not liking this dish, but know that it would be awesome had I made it differently.  Mike actually thought adding olives might have made it tastier (and I thought he didn't like olives!).  I'll have to try this one again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment