Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Stuffed Pasta Shells

1 box jumbo pasta shells
1 egg, beaten
2 cloves garlic, minced
15oz ricotta
2 cups shredded mozzarella
1 jar red pasta sauce
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded

1) Preheat oven to 375F.
2) Cook shells according to package directions.  Drain and set aside.
3) Meanwhile, mix egg, garlic, ricotta and mozzarella in a medium bowl.  Add salt and pepper, if desired.
4) Pour half of pasta sauce into the bottom of a 9x13 inch casserole dish (don't empty the jar and keep the lid!!).  Spread evenly.  Begin stuffing pasta shells with 1-2 spoonfuls of cheese mixture.  Place filled shells into the casserole dish, open side down.  Continue this pattern, until all shells are used and dish is full.  Some shells will be too broken to use, and will need to be tossed. 
5) Take remaining sauce in jar, and fill with water.  Shake, to thoroughly mix the water and sauce.  Pour over the shells, covering the shells.
6) Cover the dish with foil, and bake for 30 minutes.  Remove from oven and uncover.  Top with Parmesan cheese and bake uncovered for an additional 10 to 15 minutes, or until cheese has browned.  Remove and serve!

Review:  I made this dish from memory!!  In 2000, I moved to Connecticut (having previously lived in Western Kansas and SouthEast Missouri) and was introduced to a whole new world of amazingness.  I knew nobody, but quickly made friends with co-workers.  One such co-worker taught me three life lessons.  1) Garlic bread should be made with real garlic, not garlic salt (redneck garlic bread?).  2) I didn't want to be like her, age 31, clubbing 6 nights a week and asking parents for money to pay bills (the friendship lasted less than a year!).  3) This recipe.  I knew nothing about cooking, unless there were directions on the box!  She taught me this yummy recipe and I was able to memorize it!!  Over ten years later, I still have it committed to memory.  It's always filling, and so very easy to make!!  I also learned a different recipe years later.  One can substitute the ricotta with tofu, but I see no reason to do so. 

No comments:

Post a Comment