Thursday, September 12, 2013

Dietary Changes

I had a lovely (detect sarcasm) visit with my allergist this morning. I've had a lot of gastrointestinal issues for the past few years. I've had every GI test known to science, and with the exception of a slow to empty stomach, there's been nothing found to be wrong.

In the past few months, I've seen quite a bit of news regarding food allergies. I've known for a long time that I'm allergic to nutmeg. However, it's not the typical hives-causing, throat-swelling, might kill you kind of allergy. It's always been a severe GI response. The recent news tells me that is actually a common response to food allergens. What?!! Along with acne, which I haven't been able to get my acne under control in almost a year.

My allergist entertained my whining about my symptoms and request to be tested for food allergies. He then explained there are few tests for food allergies, unless it's the severe stuff such as peanuts. He explained that it is common for people to be allergic to wheat and milk. I've been previously tested for Celiac Disease and was found to be negative. He further explained that even if someone is not technically allergic, they can have a significant metabolic disruption with the same symptoms. Huh. Would that explain why I become hypoglycemic after carby weekend meals?

So, the purpose of this disclosure is to announce a new slant to my blog. I need to give up wheat and dairy until further notice. I'll give it two months and see if it fixes everything. If so, my blog will become wheat & dairy free. If I see no difference, I will sequester myself for a weekend and binge on the Ben & Jerry's that I'm going to miss so dearly!

Bear with me as I make these changes. It's going to be really hard. As a vegetarian, I felt like social situations already made me pretty high-maintenance, but adding wheat and dairy free to that may make me a social pariah. Eesh. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment