Saturday, September 27, 2014

Quinoa Bowl with Miso Cheeze Sauce

1 cup quinoa
1 sweet potato, diced
1/4 cup frozen chopped onions
2 cups frozen chopped broccoli
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 cup nutritional yeast
1 Tbs turmeric
1/4 cup gluten free flour
2 1/2 cups almond milk
2 Tbs yellow miso
2/3 cup salsa

1) Combine quinoa, sweet potatoes and 2 1/2 cups of water in a medium pot. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low-medium, cover and cook for 15 minutes. The water should be fully absorbed and the sweet potatoes tender.
2) In another medium pot, combine onion, bell pepper, broccoli and 1/2 cup of water. Cover and heat over medium heat. Steam the veggies until broccoli is tender, about 10 minutes.
3) In a smaller pot, combine nutritional yeast, turmeric and flour. Pour in almond milk and stir to combine. Whisk in the miso. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until sauce thickens - about 10 minutes. Stir in salsa.
4) To serve, bottom layer is quinoa mixture, topped with steamed veggies, pour on cheeze sauce.

Review: I attempted this recipe last week and discovered my almond milk was chunky - after I poured it in! The recipe sounded too good to not try again, so I scheduled it again for this week. I'm glad I did. The recipe I found made a ton of food last week, without the cheeze sauce, so I scaled back the ingredients. This made four large servings. In typing this, I also corrected a few things. I found the cheeze sauce to be too heavy on the turmeric and recommend using 1 Tbs (I used 2). I also used 3 cups of almond milk and it was just a little too runny. The 2 1/2 cups I recommend here should create a thicker sauce. Now, this definitely isn't a cheese substitute, but it's about as close as I'll get and it was tasty. The miso really adds a savory flavor that's not found in other sauce recipes I've found. Of course, I wish I could add miso to everything, it's one of my all time favorite things!!



Adapted from:
http://www.platesforplants.com/blog/meatless-mondays-cheezy-miso-quinoa-bowl/

No comments:

Post a Comment