Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Vegetables with Miso Sauce

1 small red kuri or kabocha squash, peeled/seeded/diced
1 large bok choy, stems removed and leaves chopped
coconut oil spray
2 Tbs yellow miso
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp light brown sugar
2 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp rice vinegar
3 Tbs toasted sesame seeds

1) Preheat oven to 375F. In a roasting pan, spray squash with coconut oil spray and toss evenly to coast. Roast for 30 minutes, or until tender.
2) Meanwhile, spray a medium sized skillet with coconut oil spray. Saute bok choy until wilted, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
3) In a small saucepan, combine miso, garlic, brown sugar and 1/4 cup water. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cook 1 minute, or until miso dissolves and begins to bloom. Remove from het; stir in oil, vinegar and sesame seeds.
4) Drizzle miso sauce over vegetables and serve.

Review: Eek! It was a crazy night where I had a ton of chores to do along with making dinner. While my mind was scattered around the house, I missed the part of the directions that said to serve this over rice. Oops. I don't think it's necessary, however. This was tasty and filling. I loved the miso flavor and made the sauce a little thinner than I would have preferred. However, it wasn't super runny and seemed to cling to the vegetables. This was the first time I've tried kobacha squash. The flavor was very mild. It was quite a chore to get into it, however. The skin is very thick and plentiful. I feared I wouldn't have any squash left as I peeled away the dark green skin! I'd like to try this again with a red kuri squash (which I've also never tried).


Adapted from:
http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipe/grilled-vegetables-with-miso-sauce/

No comments:

Post a Comment