Monday, December 8, 2014

Barbecue Chili with Tempeh

2 8oz pks barbecue tempeh, diced
12oz barbecue sauce
3 15oz cans pinto beans, rinsed and drained

1) Combine tempeh and barbecue sauce in a large saucepan.
2) Bring chili to a simmer over medium-low heat, stirring constantly. Add beans and 1 1/2 cups of water. Simmer 20 minutes.

Review: I originally decided I wasn't going to use barbecue sauce. I planned on buying barbecue tempeh at the co-op and figured that would provide enough flavor. I also didn't want to add a bunch of sugar, so Mike could eat this with me. However, I got to the co-op and decided to at least look at the options. I found Bone Doctors' Carolina Bold barbecue sauce, which had only 1g of sugar per serving. I thought I had found a miracle option, but the cashier kindly pointed out it has a vinegar base instead of a ketchup base. I didn't think that would matter. Well. It made for a very spicy chili. It smelled like vinegar and burned like vinegar. Yet, I couldn't stop eating this!! I had tears pouring down my face and loved every minute of it. Mike won't eat food this hot, so I completely defeated the purpose of buying this barbecue sauce. But, I'll happily finish the rest of this!


Adapted from:
http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipe/barbecue-chili-with-tempeh/

No comments:

Post a Comment