Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Smoky Split Pea Soup

1 cup green split peas
2 Tbs olive oil
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp chopped chipotle chili, canned in adobo sauce
1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
3 ribs celery, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 14oz can diced tomatoes

1) Soak split peas in large bowl of cold water overnight.
2) Heat oil in 3-qt saucepan over medium heat. Add paprika and chipotle, and stir. Add sweet potatoes and celery, and season with salt and pepper. Cover, and cook 10 minutes. Add garlic and saute 2 minutes.
3) Drain split peas and add to pot with 4 cups of water. Bring soup to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 1 hour. Add tomatoes, and cook 30 minutes more, or until split peas are tender.

Review: Once again, I don't like soup. The original recipe called for 6 cups of water and I just couldn't add that much. I also didn't realize it would cook for so long and made this on a work night. I was soooooo hungry by the time it was done!! This sounded like a really tasty dish. However, I was quite underwhelmed. I think it may be better off being made with broth instead of water. It was just too bland (and I added extra chipotle and adobo sauce!!!). It was filling and warm, two very desirable traits in a meal, but I wasn't looking forward to the leftovers.


Adapted from:
http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipe/smoky-split-pea-soup/

No comments:

Post a Comment