Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Spinach, Mushroom, Pine Nut & Squash Quinoa

2 kabocha squash, peeled and diced
1 cup quinoa
2 cups vegetable broth
1 Tbs olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 lb mushrooms, diced
1 tsp thyme
3-4 cups baby spinach
1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted

1) Preheat the oven to 350F. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick spray and toss the squash onto the sheet. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until squash is tender.
2) In a medium saucepan, combine the quinoa and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 15 minutes, or until all liquid has been absorbed.
3) In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic and mushrooms. Allow to cook until mushrooms are browned, about 5-7 minutes. Add spinach and cook until it's wilted.
4) Fold in quinoa and squash. Season with thyme, then salt and pepper to taste.

Review: This was supposed to be a stuffed squash recipe. However, every time I find a recipe like this, I have way too much filling for the item to be stuffed. So, I decided to just dice the squash and add it in. However, in peeling and cutting up the squash, I've discovered a new allergy. For a long time now, I've noticed hard squashes leave a film on my hands and it takes days to look normal. The skin gets horribly scaly and discolored. Tonight, I lost feeling in a few of my fingers (left finger could not detect sensation for about 2 days). A google search informed me that some people develop an allergy and it leads to contact dermatitis. Great. I don't think it will impact my ability to eat it, I just can't peel/cut it without wearing gloves. At least I can buy butternut squash already prepared . . . but I digress. This was really tasty and quite filling. I was happy in eating it, even if I couldn't feel the bowl I was holding. Lesson learned and I feel like an allergy ridden freak.


Adapted from:
http://www.theglutenfreevegan.com/2012/03/spinach-mushroom-quinoa-and-pine-nut-stuffed-squash/

No comments:

Post a Comment