Monday, December 1, 2014

Portobello Stuffed Poblanos

4 large poblano chiles
1 Tbs olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 large portobello mushrooms, diced
1 16oz can white hominy, rinsed and drained
1 14.5oz can petite diced tomatoes
1 chipotle chile, diced from can of chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, 1 Tbs sauce reserved
3/4 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp ground coriander
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
1/4 cup lime juice
1/2 cup shredded vegan Cheddar cheese

1) Broil poblano chiles on baking sheet 15 minutes, or until blackened, turning occasionally. Cool, then rub off skins. Cut slit in side of each chile; remove seeds.
2) Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium heat. Add mushroom and garlic; saute 5 minutes. Add hominy, tomatoes, chipotle and reserved sauce, cumin and coriander. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 20 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cilantro and lime juice.
3) Preheat oven to 400F. Coat large baking dish with cooking spray.
4) Spoon 1 cup mushroom mixture into each poblano and place in prepared baking dish. Sprinkle each chile with 1 Tbs cheese. Cover with foil and bake 15 minutes, or until cheese is melted and chiles are hot.

Review: I skipped steps 3 and 4. Every time I make a dish like this, I find I have too much filling for the things I need to stuff. I'm not sure how that happens, but it's left me unwilling to even try to make the stuffing fit. So, I halved the chiles and placed them on the bottom, then covered them with the filling and cheese. It was sooooo good! There really wasn't any heat to the dish, despite the poblanos and chipotles. However, the hominy/tomato/mushroom mixture was really savory and filling. I could have eaten all of it, but restrained myself so I'll have leftovers for lunch.


Adapted from:
http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipe/portobello-stuffed-poblanos/

No comments:

Post a Comment