Monday, August 23, 2010

Farro & Pine Nut Tabbouleh

1 cup farro
2 large heirloom tomatoes
1 small cucumber
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1/2 small red onion, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
2 Tbs pine nuts, toasted
1 cup canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
3 Tbs extra-virgin olive oil
Juice from 1 lemon
3/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/2 small jalapeño chile, seeded and finely chopped

1) Cook farro as directed on package; set aside. 
2) Halve tomatoes. Scoop out and discard inner meat and seeds. Cut tomatoes into 1/4-inch pieces and place in a bowl. Peel cucumber, halve lengthwise and scoop out seedy center. Cut cucumber into ¼-inch pieces; add to tomatoes. Add garlic and onion. 
3) Transfer to bowl. Add cooled farro, chickpeas, oil, lemon juice, parsley and jalapeño; stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper and stir again. 
4) Marinate at room temperature about 20 minutes before serving.

Review:   Well, I couldn't find farro.  And I don't like cucumbers and Mike doesn't like jalapenos.  So, I used bulgur instead of farro, and a fresh zucchini instead of cucumber.  I omitted the jalapeno.  And, I got to use two of my heirloom tomatoes (most have split on the vine and had to be tossed out).  Somehow, this dish just didn't come out right.  The dish was lacking a little bit, so I tossed in some cheddar before I ate it.  Yum, that made it better.  But, I wouldn't quite label this a tabbouleh recipe, but more of a grain salad. 


1 comment: