Sunday, August 29, 2010

Pasta Verde

1 lb gemelli, or other short pasta 

FOR THE VINAIGRETTE
2 Tbs grainy mustard
2 Tbs white-wine or sherry vinegar
1/4 cup plus 2 Tbs extra-virgin olive oil
Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper 

FOR THE ADD-INS
1 sweet onion, halved lengthwise, then cut crosswise 1/4 inch thick
2 small zucchinis, halved lengthwise, then cut crosswise 1/4 inch thick
8oz snap peas, tough strings removed
3oz baby spinach, (or 1 bunch regular spinach, stems trimmed and leaves coarsely chopped)
1 small bunch scallions, thinly sliced (about 1/2 cup)
1/4 cup packed fresh basil leaves, cut into very thin strips

1) In a medium bowl whisk together mustard and vinegar. While whisking, slowly drizzle in 1/4 cup oil until emulsified. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside. 
2) Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until al dente according to package instructions, about 8 minutes. Drain; return to pot. Set aside. 
3) Meanwhile, heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion; cook until just softened, about 4 minutes. Add zucchini; cook, stirring, until tender, about 4 minutes. Add snap peas and spinach; cook, stirring, until bright green, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in scallions and basil. Add to pasta along with vinaigrette; toss. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Review:   I spent much of my afternoon in the kitchen.  I prechopped veggies for the rest of the week.  I cleaned cilantro and packaged it for freezer storage (we do this with cilantro and parsley, so we always have "fresh" herbs to use).  I made kale chips.  And, then I made dinner.  By the time I began making this, I was already tired of cooking!

I omitted the snap peas, as I haven't been liking them for some reason.  I then doubled the basil and spinach.  The zucchinis, of course, came from my garden!  When this was finally done, I hated it a little, just because I was worn out.  But, it was delicious and didn't let me continue to hate it.  Mike loved it and thought it had a sweet taste to it.  Oddly, I think that was the scallions.  So, this was worth the effort, though slicing basil into thin strips is tedious. 

No comments:

Post a Comment