Saturday, August 14, 2010

Rigatoni Peperonata

1/4 cup pine nuts
12oz rigatoni
1/4 cup olive oil
3 bell peppers (preferably red and yellow), cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives, halved
1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
2 Tbs chopped capers
2 Tbs red wine vinegar
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
salt and black pepper

1) Heat oven to 400F. Spread the pine nuts on a rimmed baking sheet and toast, tossing occasionally, until golden brown, 4 to 6 minutes. Cook the pasta according to the package directions.
2) Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the bell peppers and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 5 to 6 minutes. Add the olives, parsley, capers, vinegar, crushed red pepper, and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper and cook, stirring, until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes.
3) Add the pasta and pine nuts to the skillet and cook, tossing, for 1 minute.

Review: Yum. My RealSimple recipe tells me peperonata is a classic Mediterranean condiment. I want to make it a classic in my home. I was surprised garlic wasn’t used, but after eating this, I found it wasn’t necessary! It had a briny taste from the capers and olives, but it balanced the pepper taste. Mike added Parmesan cheese to his, but I enjoyed this without anything added. Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment