Saturday, October 9, 2010

Sugar Pumpkin, Feta & Cilantro Quesadillas

1 lb seeded sugar pumpkin, peeled and cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
1 finely chopped seeded jalapeño (about 2 Tbs)
12 8-inch-diameter flour tortillas
10oz feta cheese, crumbled
1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
2 limes, each cut into 6 wedges

1) Cook pumpkin in large saucepan of boiling salted water until tender but not falling apart, about 10 minutes. Drain and cool 10 minutes. While pumpkin is still warm, transfer to processor; puree until smooth. Stir in jalapeño; season with salt and pepper.
2) Divide pumpkin mixture equally among 6 tortillas (about 1/4 cup per tortilla) and spread evenly.  Sprinkle feta over each. Top each with 1/4 cup cilantro and sprinkle with black pepper. Top with second tortilla.
3) Heat heavy large skillet over medium high heat. Cook quesadillas until golden and dark char marks appear, about 1 minute per side. Serve with lime wedges.


Review:  After pureeing the pumpkin, I tossed in the jalapeño and cilantro and ran the food processor a little longer.  After seeing it fly around the food processor, Mike decided he wasn't going to like this.  Granted, he does not like cilantro.  So, I made the first quesadilla and tried it, but it wasn't his cup of tea.  Therefore, I made the second quesadilla with twice as much of the pumpkin mixture and finished off the batch.  I was disappointed it only made two quesadillas, but I did use larger tortillas and made them fairly thick.  Mike pulled out some cheddar and made regular quesadillas for himself.  That meant I got all of these for myself, which I was ok with.  I really loved these.  I only wish pumpkins weren't so difficult to clean up.  Also, I couldn't find 'sugar pumpkins' and used 'pie pumpkins.'






2 comments:

  1. I think sugar pumpkins and pie pumpkins are the same thing. I bought some to make my roasted squash soup. It's getting to be that time of year again. I love the Fall veggies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love fall veggies, too. Although, they're the worst to clean and serve. I hate the slimy, seedy mess in the middle.

    ReplyDelete