Saturday, October 30, 2010

Wild Rice With Apples & Butternut Squash

1 1/2 cups wild rice blend, cooked
1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
2 Tbs olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cups cubed (1/2 inch) butternut squash
2 Granny Smith apples, unpeeled, cored and cubed (1/2 inch)
1 Tbs dried thyme
1 cup vegetable broth or water
1/2 cup walnut pieces

1) Heat oil in large nonstick skillet, and saute onion over medium-high heat until translucent.  Add squash, apples and thyme, and saute 5 minutes.  Stir in broth.
2) Combine cooked rice, parsley and sauteed mixture into a buttered 9x13 baking dish.  Bake at 425F for 20-25 minutes.

Review:  I found this recipe in an ad for a specific brand of wild rice mixtures.  It's not found locally, so I bought two boxes of store brand wild rice and brown rice side dishes (throwing out the seasoning packets).  So, I ended up doubling the rice and broth.  This was pretty easy to make and didn't take as long as I had thought it would.  It helped that I cooked the rice this morning and then let it hang out in the fridge until I needed it.  This had a great fall flavor, and wasn't as sweet as I had expected it to be.  I believe the recipe may have been intended as a Thanksgiving side dish.  It would totally fit and make plenty of food!

No comments:

Post a Comment