Sunday, October 3, 2010

Ziti With Pumpkin: Ziti Alla Zucca

2 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 lb pumpkin, cut into julienne
1 cup water
salt and black pepper
pinch crushed red pepper
2 Tbs chopped fresh parsley
1 lb uncooked ziti
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano

1) In a large pan, heat the olive oil over high heat and add the onion, garlic, and pumpkin and cook 1 minute. Add the water, salt and pepper, lower heat to medium and cover, cooking until the pumpkin is soft, about 8 minutes. Add the red pepper flakes and parsley and keep warm.
2) Bring 6 quarts of water to a boil and add 2 tablespoons salt. Cook the ziti according to the package directions, until tender yet al dente. Toss the pasta with the cooked pumpkin 1 minute over high heat. Divide evenly among 4 warmed pasta bowls, topped with freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano.

Review:  I've desperately wanted to make fall dishes lately.  Mostly, I've wanted to make butternut squash recipes, but Costco did not yet have the diced squash that I love to buy (I hate cutting up squash!).  So, I decided pumpking would do in the meantime, though I would have to clean it up.  Somehow, buying an itty bitty pumpkin makes it easier to deal with.  So, I got my pumpkins, had the recipes lined up, and I found Costco had the butternut squash today.  I felt so defeated.  But, I have two pumpkin recipes this week and next week I'll get my beloved butternut squash!!!!

To make matters worse, this dish didn't wow me.  It didn't have a strong flavor, though it might have done well with a cream sauce.  It was filling and made plenty of food, but I expected more after having to julienne pumpkin!

No comments:

Post a Comment