Sunday, February 20, 2011

Garden Vegetable Gratin

3 lbs russet potatoes
2 Tbs unsalted butter
4 oz shallots, diced
1 medium carrot, diced
1 small zucchini, diced
1 cup frozen peas, thawed
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbs thyme
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/4 tsp grated or ground mace
3 cups vegetable broth
1 cup cream

1) Preheat the oven to 350F. Peel and thinly slice the potatoes. Place the slices in a bowl, cover with cool water and set aside.
2) Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
3) Add the shallots, carrot, zucchini and peas. Cook, stirring often, until softened, about 3 minutes.
4) Add the garlic, thyme, salt, pepper and mace. Stir well to warm through. Remove from the heat.
5) Layer the potatoes and vegetable mixture in a 10-cup gratin or 9-by-13-inch baking dish by first blotting some potato slices on a paper towel, then layering them across the bottom of the dish. Add some of the vegetable mixture, spread it over the slices, then blot dry more slices and add them as another layer. Keep layering the casserole, like a lasagna, ending with a layer of potato slices.
6) Whisk the broth and cream in a large bowl. Pour it over the contents of the baking dish.
7) Bake, uncovered, basting occasionally, until it is golden and most of the liquid has been absorbed, about 2 hours.

Review:  My father-in-law emailed me a link of recipes for Thanksgiving.  I've been slowly making them all.  This one got pushed back a few times, because it seemed so labor intensive.  Indeed, it was.  The picture of the dish was very creamy and all of the potatoes were covered.  When I made it, I nearly had potato chips on top!  I did baste the dish fairly often, singeing my fingertips in the process, but yet it still didn't cook uniformly!  However, it was still very yummy, and quite filling. It also made about 10 servings.  We have a ton of food!!!!


Also, I didn't use mace.  I had no idea what it was and figured it would be no big deal if I left it out.  Mike googled it to find it's the outer covering of nutmeg.  Weird!  I was especially glad I didn't search high and low for it, because I would have been mad to buy something I'm likely allergic to (nutmeg allergy).  But, for those who were curious, now you know what mace is!

No comments:

Post a Comment